Friday, 10 February 2012

Confessions of a First Grade Teacher

I often tip my hat to middle school teachers and sing their praises as I believe it takes a special person to pour into the lives of pre-teens. However, each year that I continue to teach primary I recognize it too takes a special person to delight in caring for the small children. I seem to look past the runny noses and dependence on needing coats zipped and not being able to write a paragraph. Rather than seeing all the things they can't do I see all the things they are learning to do. Successes in sounding out letters to decode words, learning how to put letters together to write sentences and tell stories. SO much to discover and learn about their world.

Everything that is commonplace to us adults is new and fascinating to a young child. Perhaps it is somewhat like being a parent and watching their child grow and become aware of the world around them. Some days I do get tired of the runny noses and that they can't remember what comes after 29. Yet for all those moments there are many more wonderful ones where you get to watch them delight in how a fan can make a pin-wheel spin and how air pressure can make a syringe stopper fly across the room. Those moments where they are working on a colouring sheet and singing how they have hidden God's word in their heart. Those moments where if I don't write them down I am afraid I may forget them. It is in those moments that I smile and remember this is why I love my job and how God has made me special to be a primary teacher :)

No comments:

Post a Comment