Strangers on a Plane
There is something fascinating about International travel. Ever since I got introduced to the TV series LOST I have looked at flying with a whole different perspective. The idea of putting a couple 100 strangers into a metal tube and sending it flying thousands of feet up in the air, with nowhere to go for a good 9 hours is thought-provoking. My transatlantic flight this time had me on a British Airways flight at the very back of the plane. A little unsettling since in all air-plane movies the people in the tail-end of the plane never survive. So as I took my seat at the rear of the plane the thought I am a tailie was in the forefront of mind. I was soon to discover that my seat-mate also was a LOST fan and had the same apprehensions about being in the rear of the plane. However this same commonality sparked a conversation with my seat buddy that went in a direction I never expected.
Most often when I fly I get seated next to a business man who is lost in his work or a elderly couple setting out on vacation. Most conversations stop after about 5 minutes of niceties, where are you from, where are you going, and maybe what do you do. After I explain I am a teacher at an International Christian school most conversation ceases. This time I was surprised to be involved in a extensive conversation about faith and to be bombarded with a barrage of questions.
Coming from a small village near Glasgow my seat mate had learned a lot about the Christian faith but marvelled at my ability to put my faith in " one wee book" as he referred to the Bible. Before he would ask me a question he would start by saying "You're not going to convert me but..." I finally laughed and asked what he meant by me converting him. He answered with "Well you're not going to get me to put all my faith in that wee book" I replied by telling him that wasn't my job. I shared my heart for Jesus with him for a good portion of our trip answered his questions and challenged him with a few of my own. We parted ways without me "converting" him but knowingly instilling in him further knowledge of God's word and hopefully planted and watered a the little seed of gospel planted in his life. Praying that it may, someday, take root.
No comments:
Post a Comment