Exciting news... I am an Aunt! On January 17, Benjamin David entered the world weighing 8 pounds one ounce. News spread quickly as my parents sent me notes on Skype and my brother sent out facebook and text messages.
As I read the emails from my parents and saw the snapshots from my brother of the new addition to our family I began to ponder how missionaries handled being away from family before the invention of the internet, face-time and Skype. At one time overseas missionaries said goodbye to their families with a slim chance of being able to see them again any time soon. So I count myself blessed.
I really enjoy how much the internet seemingly makes family and friends closer; yet, there is this slight sadness inside of me to know how far away they are actually. This really hasn't hit hard until now that there is a small bundle that I long to hold and just can't. Being able to instantly see my family and friends with the click of a few buttons is comforting, however, it can also be heartbreaking. SO close and yet SO far away.

Through all this I can relate to my students who are also far away from their extended family. Many don't get to see their grandparents for years at a time. Relationships are built and maintained through electronic devices. In many ways our staff and students become our extended family. We become the wacky Aunts and Uncles for our staff kids. The adopted grandparents and brothers and sisters. It gives me a new perspective on what it means to be a part of a bigger family, God's family. Though I do miss my family and friends I am comforted in knowing that this is the calling God has brought me to do: to share the love of God and to extend the invitation to be a part of God's ever-growing family.


No comments:
Post a Comment