Monday, 8 October 2018

Language Learning Life

More Words than Pictures

When I was teaching there were many photograph-able moments of cute kids and classroom activities and adventures. Now I am spending a good part of my day behind a desk staring at things like this:


Or this...



  But my favourite recently was this:


Can you guess what the words mean?

...

Pretty vs ugly

My camera phone does not take very good pictures and this photo doesn't not do the real picture justice.

ošklivý = ugly

Image result for kofala ad pes
It is a dog from an advertising campaign for a Czech pop called Kofala
Made us laugh super hard especially when our teacher tried to imitate the commercial.

So we have our fun moments in amongst all the learning.

Studying Czech is hard work but already after a month I am seeing some improvement in all areas of my Czech abilities.

We had our first progress exam last week and I scored a Czech 2; basically a step below excellent.
The grading system starts at 1 and goes down to 5. 1 being high mastery and 5 being failing. So a 2 is kind of like getting an A- or a B+
My downfall is my spelling skills... there is no mercy for forgotten accent marks or wrong endings, since these things can change the meaning of the word entirely.
For example byt means apartment and být means to be. That little mark over the y is very important!
Learning curve.

I love puzzles and I see Czech as one giant puzzle with many rules and exceptions and tricks and loops to get through to master the trickery of it all. A puzzle waiting to be solved every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment