The next two days of our trip were spent in Verona. I would have to say that this was my favourite part of our trip. I don't know if it was because it was a smaller city, or that the sun was shining, but I found Verona to be so beautiful. It was easy to get around and we walked pretty much everywhere. They have a handy tourist card you can purchase called the Verona card - it gets you into a variety of tourist hot spots and pays for itself in seeing only two of its 15 exhibits.
Although clearly a tourist trap it was neat to see the collection of art inspired by Shakespeare's famous story.
The Ponte Pietra (Italian for "Stone Bridge"), once known as the Pons Marmoreus, is a Roman arch bridge crossing the Adige River..
Teatro Romano di Verona)
The theatre was built in the late 1st century BC. Before its construction, two walls were built alongside the Adige River, between the Ponte di Pietra and the Ponte Postumio, to protect it against floods.
The Verona Arena (Arena di Verona) is a Roman amphitheatre in Piazza Bra in Verona, Italy, which is internationally famous for the large-scale opera performances given there. The building itself was built in AD 30 on a site which was then beyond the city walls.
These guys were outside the arena and were available for fun photo ops, they got a little cozier than I would have liked but it made for a fun photo.
After a long day we searched for a restaurant and ended up at this one. Wonderful service and although it looked pricey it was quite affordable. Highly recommended.
Castelvecchio (Italian: "Old Castle") is a castle in Verona. It is the most important military construction of the Scaliger dynasty that ruled the city in the Middle Ages.
Back to Milan
We spent our last day of Italy in Milan. The weather was much nicer and we enjoyed a day of shopping and wandering the streets.
Most memorable moments from this trip:
- We arrived in Milan close to one in the morning and this meant no accessible public transit and we had to find a cab. I was recovering from a head cold and the flight had given me some inner ear issues which affected balance so I was exceptionally clumsy and I fell off the curb and scared our cab driver.
- Day 1 of arriving in Milan I fell out of the bathroom at our hostel and twisted my ankle. Meant for a trip of hobbling everywhere but I did not allow it to slow me down. (Seemed to do a lot of falling on this trip)
- Discovering panzarotti - We have an Italian family in our school that gave us great tips of where to go and one was a little bakery off of the main square from the Duomo called Luinis. It is high on my list of must go places. We went twice (would have gone a third if it was open on Sundays). They serve this pizza pastry stuffed with all kinds of choice deliciousness. You can get them baked or deep-fried. Simply marvellous!
- Walking on top of the Duomo
- Exploring Roman theatre ruins and arenas
- Speaking broken French with tourists in order to get a photo taken. (Actually put what I learned in high school to good use.)
- Seeing Leonardo DaVinci's masterpieces up close. It is amazing when your realize how old things are.
- Hearing songs of praise to God on the streets in Milan on Easter Sunday
Overall it was a gorgeous trip and a wonderful adventure. So happy that Becca persuaded me to go.
Stay tuned for our next adventure when the adventure buddies go to Narnia :)


No comments:
Post a Comment