Thursday, 28 February 2013

February Fun


February Fun

It has been a very busy month so I thought I would do a quick run through of the happenings with photos :)

Dance-a-thon

This year our development team experimented with a creative fundraiser for the students to help raise money for a project for our new building. We hosted our first Dance-a-thon. A group of students, teachers, staff, and parents gathered together throughout the day from 9am to 9pm to dance. Students collected pledges and the result was a surprising success; raising close to $4 000!
Participating in a wide range of dance activities, students learned to square dance, swing, fox trot, and even do the sprinkler. There was a little fun with conga lines, limbo and the hokey-pokey. It was a great time of community, fellowship and fun. (The video is a little long but it was hard to fit 12 hours of footage into less than 5 minutes :)



Winter Banquet

February is also when we have our annual winter banquet. A time where the families of our middle school and high school gather together for a fancy dinner and a little fun. A great time to get dressed up and fellowship together as a school community.


100th Day of School!
 



  On February 19th we completed our 100th day of school. We celebrated together as an elementary with various activities including: writing a google, making collections of 100 things, illustrating what we will look like in 100 years and creating a crown depicting 100 things we have learned so far this school year. I love 100 day because it gives us all a sense of great accomplishment, reflecting on all the things we have learned and excited for all the things left to come!



Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Last weekend February 23rd we got a large dump of snow, as it snowed two days straight. For many places this would slow things down but not in the Czech Republic! It felt so much like being in Canada as many strapped on their cross country skis, hauled out their tobbagans and rolled out their snowmen. It was a wonderful Wintery weekend.








 
   









 
 






My homes side by side. This made me smile. Walked past a hotel building to see the Canadian flag flying next to the Czech flag. Just gave me that warm fuzzy feeling.

My first taste of trdelnik. A yummy treat sold namely at Christmas but can be found basically all year round in Old time square. Got it in my head that is was one of those things you had to indulge in while it was snowing and this was the first time it was snowing when I was near a vendor to buy one.  
 <-- Typical tourist shots but once again don't have one of the famous astronomical clock or Prague castle in the winter.










 My  heart goes out to many of the beggars in the streets during this time of year as it gets to be quite cold and freezing to death is an unfortunate reality. 




 On Sunday I ventured out into the city with my Czech friend Aneta. I met her in Vernon, while she was working at a local farm, just before I was heading to Prague. We get together from time to time so she can practise her English and I can take a stab at my non-existent Czech.


I had a great time being a picture happy tourist. Every time I walk the bridge I see something new and I don't think I will ever tire of it.


Hard to believe that March starts tomorrow! Time is racing by and it is all I can do to hang on tight and try to capture as many things as I can along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment