What I love about teaching primary is the exploration and application students make to the world around them. "What words make the /a/ sound?" I ask my students. Getting the normal apple, and alligator responses. Then I am reminded of the day and age I live in when I get the following conversation:
"Miss Robinson apstore starts with A!"
I asked the child to repeat the answer
"APSTORE!" said with great enthusiasm. "My brother has it on his I-Pad!"
"Oh yes App Store does start with A"
Teaching students that have very little English vocabulary can be challenging at times yet there are those moments when you see the light bulbs go on and the connections made. Even those moments from starting with tugs on sleeves and "Bagno?" going to "Miss Robinson.... bathroom?" Success in tiny little steps.
I think the hardest thing about International school teaching is all the goodbyes. Already this past week we had to say goodbye to one of my students as they made a unexpected return back to Italy. The transient life of our students is a hard one and we pray for them as they make the adjustments of moving. Please pray for these kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment