My Plans are Not My Own
When we last left off it was July. I arrived back in Prague on July 21st and hit the ground running, and I haven't stopped! I was gearing up to teach grade two and my new classroom was nearing being all set up. Bulletin boards ready, desks in place, planning nearing completion I was almost all set to go.

Needless to say it has been a busy start to the year. Along with balancing ever changing Covid-19 restrictions I have had my hands full. Yet I have been holding everything with open hands. We praised the Lord for each day that we were allowed to hold class in the school building. In October the Czech Republic saw a rapid increase in covid-19 cases and restrictions began to steadily tighten. High schools were the first to be mandated to online shortly followed by middle school. Elementary went to online classes on October 14. The country has now been declared in a state of emergency until December 2. We are under curfew, no one to leave their houses between 9pm and 5am, except for emergencies, returning from work and walking your dog within 500m of your home. Daily outings are restricted to essentials, grocery shopping, medical visits, and work.
Online teaching is definitely not one of my favourite things but it allows for opportunities to reach whole families that classroom teaching can not. We are now present in our students' homes. Their parents are hearing their lessons and interacting with what their child is learning. Especially when it comes to the Bible and our scripture memory. Families are participating in hearing our chapel talks and Bible lessons. Teaching online is difficult but God is using every seed planting opportunity to bring glory to his kingdom.
Outside the Classroom
Even covid-19 is not going to keep me down. I managed before restrictions tightened to have a thanksgiving celebration.
Although I did not get to travel for my fall break I was able to get out of the house before lock-down fully had gone into effect and got to see the lovely Fall colours.
Please keep the Czech Republic in your prayers. The first time through lock down in March the people were rather compliant and calm but this time around people are a little more edgy. Riots have take place in the city centre and the overall feeling is one of tiredness and wanting it all to be over. Death toll is on the rise and flattening the curve seems a long way off. We don't know when schools will reopen and longer term online seem inevitable at this point. Please pray especially for our students who are learning English and can not have the help of their parents with their school work.
No comments:
Post a Comment