Saturday, 1 December 2012

Adventures Abroad

Looking back over my Blog for the past few entries one may begin to think that all I do here is travel. Cheap travel in Europe is a perk to living on this side of the world. Experiencing many different places and cultures is a big part of my experience of living abroad. Often I find it a little more interesting to share about my travelling adventures rather than going on about the writing lesson we did in class yesterday or that my kids are conquering their addition facts.

Teaching primary kids is neither boring nor uneventful. Each day has its own adventures, discoveries, hilarious moments and enlightenments. Wish that I could record each lesson and play it back to hear all those funny things the kids say that I miss in a day because I am rushing to cover the next learning outcome or finish the next project. Although I do not have kids of my own I can only imagine what it must be like to be a parent and capture all those amazing AH-HA moments and find a way to cherish them away so they will not be forgotten. Those moments where if you don't write it down you are sure to forget.

I am a pictures person. I struggle with finding the right words. Writing can be agonizing as I search for the words that adequately express the pictures in my head; and so I love to share my experiences with photos. However, there are moments that a photo just isn't enough. Like the joys of a hug followed by the honest observation: "Miss Robinson you are fluffy." or
When a child remarks that
"God is everywhere!" and another one asks,
"Is he in my shoe?" Quickly answered by another child
"NO! If he was in your shoe you would squish him!"
These are the moments that are not captured by photos. They are the moments that are so near and dear to me and yet can get lost in all the busyness of day to day life.

I wish I could do better to convey the beauty and excitement that is in the mundane, day to day, teaching life. Some people cannot imagine being a teacher and being surrounded by a gaggle of children everyday. Vying for your attention, seeking encouragement, love and direction. Yet I thrive on it. Loving each moment. Wishing there was a way to bottle it up and share it with each person that wonders what I do besides travel all over the countryside.


No comments:

Post a Comment